July 25, 2021

Traffic Division

Welcome to the Traffic Division of The Superior Court of California, County of Stanislaus. Traffic Court deals with Adult and Juvenile traffic violations.

2260 Floyd Avenue
Modesto, CA 95355

* Please Note: The COVID-19 pandemic may affect our hours of operation. You can confirm our current hours of operation by accessing the COVID-19 information available on the Court's home page at www.stanct.org. *

Office hours are Monday through Friday:  8:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.

(209) 530-3100, select option #1; phone hours are Monday through Friday:  10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Visit our our online payment portal at:   https://portal.stanct.org/Portal/   

Email:  traffic.requests@stanct.org
Please include the following information when contacting the court via email:

  • Case Number
  • Citation Number
  • Full Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Driver's License number




Traffic Court Arraignment hearings will resume on August 3, 2020 by appointment only.  For more information, and/or to schedule an appointment regarding your citation, please go to this link:  https://www.stanct.org/appointments-are-now-required-attend-traffic-court  Please be sure to review all of the options listed on the linked page, as you may be able to resolve your case without having to make an appointment for a hearing. 

The Traffic Court Clerk's Office will reopen on July 30, 2020, as follows:

  • Office Hours:   Monday through Friday, from 8:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
  • Phone Hours:  10:00 a.m. through 2:00 p.m.

Due to the current public health situation, the number of persons entering the court facility must be limited in order to meet social distancing requirements.  The Court's public notice dated June 1, 2020 will apply as to access requirements and social distancing capacity, as outlined here:  https://www.stanct.org/public-notice-change-services-due-covid-19-june-1st-2020

If you have any questions or would like to report an address change, please contact the Traffic Court at traffic.requests@stanct.org .  Please note response times may vary, due to staffing levels.  You can also find out more information about your case by visiting the Court's online case look up at http://www.stanct.org/case-index-lookup .



The Court is now offering a new "Request to Reduce Fine Without A Court Appearance" program.

You may be eligible for this program. The "Request to Reduce a Fine Without a Court Appearance" is a one-page form to download, fill out and submit to the Clerk's Office.  The form offers significant reductions in fines, traffic school, and proof of correction, all without appearing in Court.  For more information on the form and eligibility details, and other options available to you, please view the web page at this link: https://www.stanct.org/appointments-are-now-required-attend-traffic-court 



The Court's new computer system is now picking up cases where parties have failed to appear for their hearings.  Anyone who did not appear for their cited hearing date, continued arraignment hearing, or further proceedings hearing will receive a letter for failure to appear for hearings as far back as 2018. 

If you receive a failure to appear letter, you must contact the Court to take care of your case before the failure to appear is reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles as a Failure to Appear Hold on your license.  You must either schedule an appointment to go to court to take care of your case, unless you are able to resolve your case without requiring a court appearance.  For more information on your options and/or how to schedule an appointment to appear in court, click on this linkhttps://www.stanct.org/appointments-are-now-required-attend-traffic-court .

If you already have a failure to appear hold on your driver's license, you can still come back to Court to have it addressed.  The options in the link above will give you information on how to resolve your case, and how to get the hold released, either by filing a request for order, or by scheduling an appointment on a FTA Arraignment Calendar.  More information is on this page:  https://www.stanct.org/appointments-are-now-required-attend-traffic-court .

If you have questions, our clerks are available by email at traffic.requests@stanct.org; or they can be reached during office hours either in person from 8:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m., or by phone from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.  at (209) 530-3100, select option #1.  The clerk's office will resume a Monday through Friday schedule on August 3, 2020. 


Where and When Do I Need to Take Care of My Traffic Ticket?

When you received your traffic citation, the officer wrote your date to appear (the due date) underneath your signature on the citation. This is the due date for resolving your citation and you must either pay or resolve your ticket or you must appear in Court by the due date on your citation.  You may be able to resolve your ticket without appearing in person.  For more information, please see:  https://www.stanct.org/appointments-are-now-required-attend-traffic-court

Do not ignore your citation. When you received the citation from the law enforcement officer, you signed your name and made a promise to appear for Court. If you fail to appear as directed, additional penalties will be imposed for your failure to appear and your license will be suspended. Failure to resolve your citation on or before the date listed at the bottom of your citation will also result in additional penalties, which may include an additional $300.00 civil assessment.  It's important to contact the Court to avoid additional sanctions if you are unable to appear at the hearing listed on your citation.  A one-time 30-day extension can be requested, as long as it's on or before your first hearing date. 

In addition, failure to appear will result in a Trial In Absentia conviction, which will report on your DMV record and could result in additional civil assessment fees for failure to pay (per Local Rule 4.29).  For more information on this subject, please see our Frequently Asked Question #14 - "What if I don't go to Court or pay my ticket?"  If you receive a Notice of Decision on Trial in Absentia, and still wish to contest it, you have only 20 days to file a Trial De Novo (Request for New Trial).  If you do not file within this timeframe, your options are very limited. 

If your citation involves a mandatory appearance you must appear in Court.   Mandatory appearances will be noted on your Courtesy Notice.   If you do not have a mandatory appearance noted or you do not want to appear you may pay the full bail amount to the Court and do nothing further. The bail will then be accepted as a guilty plea and the case will be closed.  If you have a question about appearance requirements, you can contact the Clerk's office at traffic.requests@stanct.org .

If you have a violation for which proof of correction can be shown, the fine may be reduced if proof of correction is provided to the Court by your due date. In addition, there is a $25.00 proof of correction fee that must be included for each violation that requires proof of correction.  An additional $10.00 administrative fee may also be required.  Specific case information is available on-line, including bail amounts, case numbers and instructions for how to pay your bail in full using the automated system. You may also email the Traffic Division Clerk’s Office at traffic.requests@stanct.org for additional information on questions you might have.  Payments can be mailed in along with the proof of correction (signed off citation or other documentation), or you can use the Drop Box located on the Traffic Division's southern exit door.  Please note that the sign-off of the proof of correction must be done on the back of your original citation.  If you have lost your original, you must either obtain a certified copy from the Court (at a cost) or obtain a copy from the agency that cited you.  An agency copy must have a controlled document stamp or other identifying mark of authenticity from the agency.  You may also have a document that serves as a proof of correction, such as an insurance card or vehicle registration, which may also be accepted.

Pursuant to California Rule of Court 4.105(b), you have the option to appear in court for arraignment and trial without posting bail.  Under rule of Court 4.105(c), bail is required to be deposited if you elect to proceed with trial by written declaration without appearing in court (VC 40902) and/or written not guilty plea (VC40519(a-b)), or elect to pay bail and not contest the citation or appear in court (VC 40510 and 40521). 

Your options are listed below per the California Rules of Court. You have the right to request one or all of the following, depending on the status of your case:

  1. Petition to Reduce or Vacate Civil Assessment – California Rules of Court, Rule 4.106
    • If you received a notice that a civil assessment was added to your citation, you may petition the court to reduce or vacate the assessment.
    • A petition to reduce or vacate an assessment does not stay (stop) any order requiring payment of bail, fines, penalties, fees, or assessments unless specifically ordered by a judicial officer.
    • If you do not establish good cause as to why you didn’t appear or did not pay, the court can still impose the civil assessment.
    • The court may consider such factors as your due diligence in appearing or paying after notice of the assessment has been given.
    • Request for Order forms can be found here:  Defendant's Request for Order Packet
    • Packets are also available at the Traffic Clerks’ Office at 2260 Floyd Avenue, Modesto, CA 95355. This is where it will need to be submitted for filing and review by a Judicial Officer.
  2. Petition for Ability-to-Pay Determination – California Rules of Court, Rule 4.335
  • You may request an ability-to-pay determination at sentencing if you are currently on an installment plan, or while your judgment remains unpaid, including when your case is delinquent or in collections.
  • You have the right to a review by a judicial officer. When you submit your request in writing, include any information you want the court to consider, including any attachment(s) that would help support your request.
  • The court will make a decision based on the information and supporting documentation that you provide in your written request. Specific documentation as to your financial status will be required for the court to make a determination.
  • You may also request a Court order to allow you to serve Community Service in lieu of paying your fine.  You must use the Request for Order Packet noted below.
  • If an ability-to-pay determination has already occurred, a subsequent ability-to-pay determination can be requested only in the event of a change in your financial circumstances. The change in circumstances must be supported (proof provided) with written documentation in order for the court to consider your request.
  • Packets are also available at the Traffic Clerks’ Office at 2260 Floyd Avenue, Modesto, CA 95355. This is where it will need to be submitted for filing and review by a Judicial Officer.
  • Right to Appear in Court for Arraignment and Trial without Deposit of Bail – California Rules of Court, Rule 4.105
    • If you have not already been arraigned or previously waived formal arraignment, which resulted in a conviction:
      • You have the right to appear in court for arraignment and trial without deposit of bail.
      • If you have already been convicted, your options include:
        • Submitting a Request for Order (considered on your paperwork and written statements and documentation).
        • Filing a motion to schedule a hearing date (considered on your paperwork and verbal statements).
    • If you have been convicted “in absentia” (in your absence), you have only 21 days to file a Request for Trial De Novo in order to appear in court to contest your case from the date of mailing on your Notice of Decision on Trial in Absentia.
  • If you need additional information regarding your options, or other self-help information, you can visit the Judicial Branch of California’s self-help website at: http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-traffic.htm
  • Packets are also available at the Traffic Clerks’ Office at 2260 Floyd Avenue, Modesto, CA 95355. This is where it will need to be submitted for review by a Judicial Officer.

    Adult Traffic - First Appearance in Court 

    If you choose to appear in Court prior to your first hearing date, the Court will hear your case according to the appointment you schedule to appear in Court.  There are three types of appointments that can be scheduled: 

    1) Adult Traffic cases - Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday by appointment only. 

    2) Juvenile Traffic cases - Wednesday afternoon by appointment only.  A parent or legal guardian must attend the hearing with the juvenile.

    3) Failure To Appear cases - Wednesday morning and afternoon by appointment only.  Please note, these sessions should be for cases that have a DMV hold placed on the driver's license.   

    You can book your appointment for your hearing, however, please read your options on this link.  You may be able to resolve your case without appearing at a hearing.  For more information, see:  https://www.stanct.org/appointments-are-now-required-attend-traffic-court

    Please plan to arrive early enough to get checked in for the session. You are required to watch a video on-line prior to your arraignment, once you have scheduled your appointment.  Links to the video are listed below::

    Online Traffic Arraignment Video - English
    Traffic Arraignment Script (English)

    Online Traffic Arraignment Video - Spanish
    Traffic Arraignment Script (Spanish) - Coming soon


    Juvenile Traffic Infractions

    Juvenile cases are heard only on Wednesday afternoons by appointment only, and are handled at the same location as Adult Traffic.  Juveniles must have a parent or guardian with them in order for them to appear in Court, unless they have turned 18 by the date of their appearance in Court. 


    Unable To Make Your Court Appearance?

    If you are unable to appear in Court, you must contact the Modesto Traffic Division on or prior to your Court date.  You are eligible for a one-time 30 day extension as long as it is submitted on or before your hearing date or at least three (3) days prior to your scheduled appointment. This extension can be made by speaking with a clerk or by emailing your request to traffic.requests@stanct.org by your deadline.  Please include your Court case number or citation number so the clerk is able to quickly assist you with your request.  Your case number is located on the top left hand corner of your Courtesy Notice that the Court mailed to you and the citation number is located on the top right hand corner of the ticket that was issued to you by the officer. If you do not have either, you can search the Court’s online case index to find your case number. If you do not have a case or a citation number please include your full name, your date of birth and driver’s license number so the clerk is able to locate your case.  If you fail to appear, or scheduled a continuance prior by the deadlines, your case could go into failure to appear status (FTA), and your driver's license could be placed on a DMV hold status if you fail to take action timely. 


    Appearing In Person

    Your first appearance or hearing in Traffic Court is called an arraignment. At the arraignment you will hear important information regarding your rights, an overview of what happens at the arraignment and you will be informed of your options for handling your case. You can view the online traffic arraignment video for more information.

    You do not have to wait until the appearance date listed on your citation to take care of your traffic matter. If the Court's online case index lists your citation or information regarding your ticket, the Court will likely have your case ready for you to either pay or appear in Court. If you cannot resolve your case without appearaing in Court, you can schedule an appointment for an arraignment at this link:  https://www.stanct.org/appointments-are-now-required-attend-traffic-court

    • Adult cases that are timely (NOT in "Failure to Appear/FTA" status) can attend court by appointment only.  The Court no longer allows walk-in  appearances due to social distancing limitations.  
    • Adults with a case in Failure to Appear status, where a DMV hold has been placed on the license are only eligible to appear in Court on Wednesdays by appointment only, also due to social distancing limitations.   

    To sign up for Court, you must schedule an appointment date on or before your "Appear By" date listed on your citation.  You may be able to resolve your case without appearing in Court, and your options are listed on this link:  https://www.stanct.org/appointments-are-now-required-attend-traffic-court .  If you cannot resolve your case using the options listed in the link, you may then schedule an appointment for a an Arraignment hearing online at the same link.  If you need assistance scheduling the hearing, you can contact the Court clerk's office by phone during usual office hours.  The clerk can help you schedule your appointments either by phone or in person. 

    Please note that the clerk cannot advise you on whether or not you should go to Court, so if you are unsure of what your options might be, wait for the clerk to call your number to provide you with additional information to help you with your choices. If you are able to watch the online video, you can receive in-depth information regarding your options and have a better idea of what you might like to do when you come to Court. If you simply prefer to pay your citation and not go to Court and your case is not considered a “mandatory appearance”, you can pay online, by phone or on-site at the Traffic Division Office without having to appear in the courtroom. 

    You may be able to handle your matter and pay for your traffic citation online or as well as sign up for traffic school. Please click on this line (http://trafficfines.stanct.org:8080/LocateFines/) to determine if you qualify.

    At the arraignment, the Judicial Officer will ask how you want to plead. If you plead "Not Guilty" you will be given an option to set a Court Trial with the officer present or you may choose to have a Trial by Written Declaration. A Trial by Written Declaration (TBD) process is when you and the officer both submit your testimony on a written form. If you choose to have a Trial by Written Declaration, you can also submit a written request for this type of trial to the Court, rather than appearing to request it in Court. Information will be sent to you explaining how to proceed. If you choose to have a Trial by Written Declaration, bail is required to be posted at the time the written forms are filed. Juveniles also have the option of requesting a trial by written declaration. 

    Paying the Citation

    Payments are accepted in at the clerk's office, by Drop Box, by mail, or online at https://portal.stanct.org/Portal/.

    Please note:

    • Payment(s) by phone are no longer accepted.
    • Please do not send cash through the mail or through the Drop Box.
    • When paying by check, please make sure to include the docket/case number.
    • Please note that the online system requires at least two days to process your payment.
    • Payment must be posted two business days prior to your due date to avoid further penalties and assessments.

    Please do NOT pay online if you are requesting a Trial. 

    •     If you are requesting a Court Trial, you are not required to post bail unless you are found guilty.  
    •     If you are requesting a Trial By Written Declaration, you are required to post bail in advance by check, cashiers check, charge, or in personPlease do not post it ONLINE.

    Payment Plan Information

    Payment Plans allow those enrolled to pay tickets in monthly installments over a 12 month period. To enroll, defendants must appear in Court, visit the clerk's office, or complete the Payment Plan Contract on this website on or before the arraignment date listed on the citation. 
    Please note:

    • A one-time processing fee of $35.00 will be charged and must be paid when setting up the plan.
    • If payments are not made as agreed, penalties of $310.00 or more may be imposed per case.
    • The Court must be notified of any change in address or if a payment will be missed. 

    Requesting Traffic School

    Important: Please refer to our “SIGN UP FOR TRAFFIC SCHOOL” webpage at


          You may register for traffic school at the same time you pay your fine online as long as your case is eligible for online sign-up.  IMPORTANT:  Only case numbers beginning with the letters "TR-" are eligible to sign up for Traffic School online.  If your case doesn't begin with a "TR", you must sign-up either by mail, in person, or by drop box request with payment included.

    Basic Traffic School Requirements:

    If Your Case Is Not Listed Online - Information

    If you cannot locate a case on file for your citation at this time, you can contact the Traffic Court Clerk to assist you with searching for your case number.  It may be possible that your citation has not yet been filed by the agency, as they have up to one year to file the citation with the Court.  If your court date is approaching, and you cannot locate your name on the online portal, contact the Traffic Court Clerk's Office to confirm whether the citation has been filed or not.  If it hasn't been filed, you can contact the law enforcement agency that cited you for additional information, especially if your address changes.  Any notices sent from the law enforcement agency or from the Court will be sent to the address listed on your citation, so if you have an address change it is important to contact the court and the law enforcement agency to ensure that you receive notices timely. 

    The Traffic Court Clerk's office will send you a Traffic Court Reminder Notice to your address on the citation as soon as your citation is filed with the Court.  Because you signed a citation, or a "Promise To Appear" in Court, you are responsible for continuing to check to see if you have a case on file, in the event the agency files it at any point during the year after you were cited (date of violation). 


    Last updated: December 16, 2020 1:14 PM